ICT offer for high precision silent bearings industry
Silicon nitride balls are used in full ceramic and hybrid-ceramic bearings in applications where ultra high-speed rotation is required. Furthermore, they have an insulating property which is highly effective in preventing electrolytic corrosion: this makes silicon nitride balls the optimal solution as a countermeasure against premature bearing failure in electric motors.
ICT can offer high precision balls in silicon nitride (Si3N4), both in class I and class II as for ASTM F2094. The raw material is sintered according to HIP (Hot Isostatic Pressure) technology that can guarantee higher values of fracture toughness (higher than 6.0 K1C), flexural strength (higher than 900 MPa, as for three points method) and lower or nihil porosity. This results into higher resistance to fatigue and wear, with reduced risk of balls failure even in the toughest applications.
Compared to the standard 100Cr6 steel balls used for standard bearings, the silicon nitride balls have at least the following advantages:
- Excellent corrosion resistance, capable to resist in contact with harsh chemicals and demanding environmental conditions;
- Weight density 60% lower, with beneficial effect in terms of reduced centrifugal force, skidding and wear under high speed and acceleration;
- Superior Surface Finish with Ra values about half of the steel balls ones;
- Lower thermal expansion;
- Non-magnetic properties, ideal for use in applications subjected to a magnetic field;
- Higher Surface Hardness.
Even in the case of ceramic balls, the geometrical precision and the surface appearance quality play an important role in determining the performance in application. Under that point of view ICT can meet the stringent requirements of G3 and G5 as for ISO 3290 thanks to:
- Standardized continuous process flow;
- Reduced batch sizes;
- Smooth grinding and lapping operations;
- Quality Management system certified according to IATF 16949.
ICT ceramic balls are available in the range from 0.4 mm up to 100 mm of diameter. The balls are 100% visual inspected and all metrological and raw material certifications are provided to customers together with products. Ultrasound and fluorescent liquid inspections can be also performed upon specific requirement of the customers.
For more information and to ask quotations do not hesitate to get in touch with ICT team writing to firstname.lastname@example.org or calling at +39 (0)121 376811.